Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Fronteer: Q+A with Jon Tang



Footwear that looks good, and is functional – that, put simply, is the best way for us to describe the offering of shoes from Fronteer. Just how do you manage to do that though? Well, we thought we’d get answers straight from the man himself, and pestered Jon Tang, founder and creative director of the brand to give us some insight.



Could you explain a bit about Fronteer? And how you started the brand?

Fronteer is a lifestyle outdoor brand. It bridges the gap between performance outdoors and the everyday lifestyle. It's meant to really be the grey area between and tells a narrative of outdoor culture for the everyday. I started the brand in 2015 out of just my own shear passion to make something that spoke to things I loved like space, nature, inspiration and the idea of the journey.

What is the process like in designing and then manufacturing a pair of Fronteer Shoes? The Aqua Solo, for example, how long did it take to go from initial idea to finished product?

My timeline is around 5-6 months from sketch to consumer hands. A lot of process goes into really figuring what kind of product each is going to be. It's so important to really give a reason for everything that exists for each product. Everything really has to connect as whole to the inspiration from what it is and how that still is a part of the FRONTEER DNA.

What are the inspirations behind the footwear you make?

I am inspired by the outdoor culture. I like to really dive into stories and fun facts about the outdoors that I can manifest into something tangible. It’s great when I can really find something that fits a great story but also gives you something you didn't know or expect.

Each pair of Fronteer shoes are limited in quantity - is this an intentional decision? Or just something that happened naturally?

The decision to make less really comes from the idea that I just didn't want to overproduce something. We make a lot of things in this world and I want to be smart about what I'm putting into this world.

You've already worked on a collab with Manastash, do you reckon you'll be working on more collaborations? How did the Manastash collab come about?

I love all the collaborations I get to do. I have a great relationship with that team. Collaborations are great because it gives you a moment to stretch your brand in a different kind of way that connects with the other brand. It offers a new kind of perspective for both brands. If it's the right kind of collaboration, I'm always willing to figure something out. The Manastash collab happened cause they were sitting across from me at a tradeshow. I'd see them everything. We both found we had a similar thought process on our own take on the outdoors. A connection happened almost instantly.

What plans do Fronteer have for the future?

Just to grow. And grow organically. I hope people can adopt FRONTEER naturally for their own everyday and stay with us on this journey of telling these outdoor cultured stories.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Q+A: Kavu

Seattle based brand Kavu are a “true outdoor” brand, established and in the hands of true outdoor enthusiasts. Founded in 1993 by foun...